Thursday, January 15, 2015

In John Mayer's open letter to D'Angelo, he wrote about how he listened to "Voodoo" on his way to his BS job.

To be clear, I'm not calling the job itself BS. I think being a substitute special education teaching assistant (official title: Paraeducator) is a noble profession, especially if the people doing it are actually doing their job and not just sitting on their asses every day just for a check.

But the frustrating part for me is, like right now, because of the strenuous nature of the job most days I have very little energy left for creativity, whether it's music or drawing. 

I got invited to an open interview at Guitar Center. I know regardless of the fact it's a store that carries music gear, which would be like a kid working in a toy or video game store, it's still retail, and retail hasn't always been thrilling for me. But at least I'd be interested in learning about the products I'd be selling, and I'd have the chance to meet musicians on a daily basis.

I feel like I'd be a breath of fresh air. Instead of having someone with piercings and tats in random places or who has a disdain for the world, I'd be Mr. Everyman. Granted, I still have a disdain for the world, but I can at least do it with a smile on my face when required. =) I also feel like most of the employees at Guitar Center are rockers or metalheads, and I'd provide a little more musical diversity with my affinity for blues, R&B, funk and hip-hop, even jazz and classical. I definitely enjoy rock, and metal's starting to grow on me (although I'd probably never get into death metal), but I'm into other things, too.

I never claimed to be a gearhead or a guitar expert, and I hope even years down the road when I improve in those areas I'll still have that same attitude. The beauty of the guitar is there's so much to learn and so many ways to express yourself. Songs like "Whole Lotta Love" and "Crepuscolo sul mare" have emerged from the same instrument.

I'm definitely ready for change. I might still keep myself available for subbing a couple days a week if I end up working at Guitar Center to supplement my pay. But I'm all about the art.

Sorry I couldn't make this more interesting. I'm beat. I did want to rant earlier about women being shallow b-----s, but first of all it turns out I have family who reads this, so I have to watch the profanity. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment