Friday, January 9, 2015

SONGWRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So as some of you may know,  I've been wrestling with the guitar for the past four years. I've learned a few chords, some scales, and a handful of techniques. But along the way either I forgot the reason why I picked up the guitar or I never figured it out in the first place.

SONGWRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I'd certainly love to be able to shred like Joe Satriani, ultimately my desire is to express myself by crafting songs. As much as I admire guys like Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen, to be honest I can only listen to them so much before I switch to a great song that may not have intricate guitar playing but moves me and is just beautifully composed.

Although I'll definitely work on my technique and knowledge of guitar gear, it's all based on putting songs together. All the amps, effects, tunings, etc. I use are all for creation, not just for the sake of knowing them like I've been doing.

There's nothing wrong with dictionaries and encyclopedias, but in the end they don't inspire. I want to be inspired. I want TO inspire.

So this is where I'm headed. By the end of the year I want to have at least an album's worth of songs, if not more. But most of all I want to find my voice through the medium of the guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment