So yesterday was my dad's 63rd birthday. I realize I've said some horrible things about my dad in my previous post and I'm deeply sorry.
I see where's he at, and for me being half his age it's alarming. He lives with so much regret; it's like in these late years with motorcycles, billiards and karaoke, he's trying to reclaim the mojo he's lost a long time ago. Or maybe he's never had it.
I think that's the frustrating part about our relationship. He's supposed to be at the stage where he's already gotten all his youthful, experimental desires out of his system, and now he's just appreciating my journey and giving me guidance. Instead, it's almost like we're competing as to who can be young better.
That's what irks me musically. I'm here working on my guitar skills and trying to improve my musicianship. But instead of encouraging me musically, maybe buying me a piece of gear or understanding my music tastes, he's asking me to help find songs so he can win stupid karaoke contests.
At least he pretty much leaves me alone with the gear. He commented once when I got my Martin Backpacker a couple of years ago (which I've sold since), like,"You got a new guitar!" But that's about it. He's seen all my guitars (3, and none cost more than $150), my Zoom G5 and Vox AC1 Rhythm Vox amp but hasn't said anything, which is fine by me.
In the end, I think my music should just be for me. My sisters are mostly into crap dance and pop music, and have virtually no interest in rock, funk, blues, punk, metal or jazz. They like a little R&B, but probably not D'Angelo. My mom's mostly into older light and fluffy pop, like the Bee Gees and Carpenters, and my dad likes the Beatles and some other "light rock" type of groups. If my dad were in high school he's probably be anti-Zeppelin.
But I need to pursue what I like. I need to find my own voice. My folks may or may not like it or get it, but whatever. As long as I'm enjoying myself, that's all that counts.
No comments:
Post a Comment