Monday, December 15, 2014

Going For It

Fuck it. I'm doing it. I've put it off far too long.

I'm pursuing an Associate of Arts in Music at Skyline College. While I would love to go to a school like Berklee in Boston, I just don't have the money. But I think I can still gain some useful tools at Skyline, and most of all I can connect with people who have a similar passion.

I'll start off with Guitar 1, even though I have some skill with the guitar, because it's a prerequisite for all the other guitar classes. But I think it'll provide me with exposure playing in front of people; I've spent the past four-plus years playing by myself, like John Mayer,"alone in a room".

I think music in the end is all about community. While creating good music is definitely a skill and an art, in the end music is about bringing people together of different races and walks of life.

While I would like to have a successful career in terms of income and maybe even gain a measure of fame/popularity, I just want to spend the rest of my life doing what I love. I can go into other things that could provide more job security and maybe guarantee to make me more money, but I don't want to waste any more time just trying to survive.

Dreams
Langston Hughes

Hold onto dreams
For if dreams die
Life is like a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment