Sunday, December 28, 2014

Nerdy Guitar Gear

So I got a Zoom G5 over the summer, and while it's a nice piece of technology and I've had fun with it, I think I'm ready to take a more minimalistic approach, or at least something a bit simpler.

The G5 is certainly simple enough, but it's kind of overwhelming having all those amp models and effects at your disposal, and I really only use a couple of the amp models and pedals. I also want something a little more tactile; I feel the G5 is a bit too techie and computerized for me. It's why I'm reluctant to use the Garageband amps and effects.

I think I was also awed by the idea of having all these amps and effects at my disposal, when skill-wise I'm not ready for it. I want to improve my chops before I start experimenting with effects. I guess it's like wanting to be a better painter or drawer before I start using more colors.

I'm planning to trade in my G5 and my Vox RhythmVox amp for cash so I can get a Vox Mini5, which is a beefed-up version of the RhythmVox that has a ton of different rhythms, plus a smaller library of amp models and effects, and maybe put away the rest of the money.

I also feel like I made too huge a leap, that I bit off more than I could chew. My previous effects unit was a freaking Line 6 Pocket Pod Express, which had like 6 amp models and 8 effects. But it was a ton of fun, though.

They say "Don't grow up too fast". I guess that applies to the guitar, too. I want to be a freaking beast, but I have to progress at my own pace. And if that means taking the "less is more" approach, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment